Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Welcome!

Hi. My name is Jodi. Welcome to my blog.

I’ve never really seen myself as a blogger. I used to have a blog on my Myspace page, but I abandoned it after awhile. I used it mostly to whine about the lack of things going on in my life. I suffered an extreme depression in those days, and didn’t really have much worthwhile to say in those days.

Things are different now. I still suffer from depression, but I’ve allowed myself to be happier in my life. Also, I realize that I’ve spent almost half my life pursuing a career that I don’t really belong in. In 1996, I decided to pursue a career in computer technology. I started off studying computer programming, but decided it wasn’t for me. I should have taken the hint then, but instead changed my focus to computer networking.

I actually rather enjoyed computer networking, but it’s too hard to find a career in it if you’re not already established as a network administrator. Plus, my interest in computers doesn’t really translate very well into my personal interested—other than computer games. So unless I’m working, I don’t really keep up with all the latest developments in computing. This makes my skills erode pretty quickly when I’m not working—and I haven’t had a real job in a computer field since 2004.

Computing was never really what I wanted to do anyways. I’ve known since I was 12 that I wanted to be a writer. Somewhere along the way, I convinced myself that I couldn’t make a living by writing and that I needed a “real” job to get by while I wrote in my spare time.

That wasn’t the best life choice. By putting my writing as second strain, I lost it somewhere along the way. Sure, I can still write just fine. I still have the desire to write. I just can’t seem to find the motivation. There’s always something more important to be doing. That needs to change.

I hope to accomplish several tasks with this blog. It’s going to get me back into the habit of putting my writing first. Plus it’s going to give me a voice. I can talk about the things that I think about, but never speak aloud—or speak aloud only to one or few people. Finally, I want to share the lessons I’ve learned in my life with you, my readers. Or maybe share some of the things in life that I like.

This blog started as an idea from a friend at Eugene Daily News. I started to write a series of articles for them about my upcoming wedding. However a communication mix up led to the assignment being given to someone else. I’ll be sharing those articles in this blog, and I’ll keep them true to what I tried to accomplish with them at Eugene Daily News and try to keep them news worthy. I’ll try to do that with most of my blogs. I hope that I can educate you by exploring my life and my thoughts. In the end, I hope we both learn something in this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment